FUNCTION: The Licensed Practical Nurse who, under the supervision of a Registered Nurse, is responsible and accountable for the application of nursing procedures in the care of a designated group of patients. Demonstrates knowledge and competency in the performance of waive testing through training, updated knowledge of the manufacturers’ manuals and annual observation of routine work by the supervisor or a delegate.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties as required.
1. Initiates nursing process utilizing the nursing assessment tool on an ongoing basis, by planning coordinating, implementing and evaluating nursing care based on clinical knowledge, patient's needs and a collection of data.
2. Provides Nursing care in compliance with the physician’s orders and established medical protocols all within the nursing scope of practice and participates in the development of treatment in planning.
3. Implements detoxification procedure and delivers appropriate patient care according to withdrawal scale and physicians orders.
4. Retrieves orders and administers correct medications per physician’s orders and facilitates procedure and policy. Maintains update knowledge of withdrawal medications and modalities used in addiction treatments.
5. Records and reports to appropriate care providers any information that may impact the patient's treatment and/or continuing care.
6. Initiates consult(s) (psych, nutritional) when appropriate.
7. Assesses patient for readiness for transfer to next level of care.
8. Triage to minor injuries and illnesses of patients in coordination with the medical staff and RN Charge Nurse.
9. Maintains confidentiality at all times.
10. Assumes responsibility for growth and accountability through in-service programs and staff meetings.
11. Assists in orientation for new employees and/or serves as preceptor.
12. Reports for duty as scheduled.
13. All information maintained accurately and in compliance in electronic chart.
14. Participates in Performance Improvement Initiatives.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: NA
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
Licensed Practical nurses will be graduates of an accredited school of nursing and hold a current valid LPN license to practice in the State of New York or be eligible for license within 90 days.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence as required Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization as needed.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
Valid NYS LPN license.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Should have significant knowledge and experience of alcoholism and chemical addiction. Mental health experience preferred.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls, and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision and the ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Fast-paced, deadline oriented, confidential department. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Job Type: Full-time
Paid time off
8 hour shift