Middletown Program Manager
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Work with people with mental health disabilities throughout Orange, Westchester, Rockland, Dutchess and Sullivan Counties as well as those individuals identified by the discharge teams at hospitals and other treatment facilities (as needed) in order to help “bridge” recipients back into the community.
• Assist in discharge planning whenever possible, and maintain effective working relationships with participating 9.39 hospitals, drug treatment centers and other community providers.
• Provide mental health peer counseling as needed.
• Maintain a current and working knowledge of systems issues.
• Assist persons to achieve self stated goals and to develop a transition plan.
• Engage in individual advocacy by assisting consumers with mental health disabilities in protecting and promoting their rights, resolving complaints, accessing services and navigating community supports of their choice.
• Engage in systems advocacy by representing the concerns of consumers with mental health disabilities through the identification of patterns of problems and complaints and working with program or system administrators to resolve or eliminate these systemic problems.
• Network with mental health providers and community support services to maintain an integrated support system for persons with psychiatric disabilities as well as those in Dual focused programs.
• Facilitate and support the development of an integrated support network for individuals which includes but is not limited to case management, benefits advisement, supported housing, self help, employment and educational services, in addition to other community supports individuals may wish to access.
• Educate individuals, families, and community resources about challenges, options, and resources with regard to persons with disabilities.
• Organize and conduct community forums for the purposes of gathering consumer input, sharing critical information, and strengthening organizational relationships.
• Encourage personal empowerment, self-determination, while promoting independent living skill development.
• Encourage independence; provide assistance in identifying and connecting with supportive services. .
• Complete statistical reports by specified due date for the Bridger Manager.
• Complete all reporting and record keeping as required.
• Attend and actively participate in all meetings and training sessions provided by the Independent Living, Inc. and specific to The Bridger Program.
• Other duties as assigned or as required by the needs of the position.
• Honesty, respect for diversity, high personal standards, language and behaviors reflecting such values and the Independent Living philosophy.
• Demonstrated ability to recognize the need for and facilitate connections between consumers and IL and other disability related services.
• Knowledge of local, statewide and national disability related issues and community dynamics.
• Working knowledge of confidentiality requirements as relating to records pertaining to Mental Health and Chemical Dependency laws.
• Excellent written and verbal presentation skills.
• Must have good time management skills and be self-directing, especially if there is any downtime.
• Must possess a valid driver’s license and have reliable transportation.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Human Services plus two years of advocacy experience preferred. Equivalent years of experience, acceptable.
• Must have completed approved advocacy training program or complete this training program within the first six months of employment.
• Must be a peer and have personal lived experience as a former or current user of mental health services and be comfortable with self-disclosure as needed.
• Must have a working knowledge of the mental health system and recovery process (including but not limited to 12 step programs, Self Help and other alternative methods) since this is a peer position.
• Bilingual English/Spanish strongly preferred.
Por favor, ayudanos a crear un sociedad libre sin barreras! Help us create a barrier-free society!