Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner
The Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner is responsible for providing psychiatric evaluations, medication and education for those individuals who require further assessment and/or medication to assist in alleviating symptoms related to mental health difficulties. The Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner also consults with other staff regarding specific issues that impact on treatment.
• Provides psychiatric evaluation for clients whose diagnosis requires clarification and/or who need to be assessed for psychotropic medication.
• Provides ongoing medication management for assigned clients as scheduled.
• Provides substance use assessments and co-occurring care for clients whose diagnosis would benefit from MAT.
• Provides education about any medication prescribed and administers injectable medication as needed.
• Coordinates the use of psychotropic medications with the clients’ physician whenever the client has a co-existing physical condition.
• Engages in consultation with other staff regarding diagnostic and treatment issues as needed.
• Works in collaboration with other members of the care team, including care management, peer and clinical services.
• Provides crisis intervention services as needed.
• Completes evaluations and documentation as requested inclusive of Social Security, Putnam County DSS, the judicial system, housing, etc. with the cooperation of the client.
• Maintain relationships with front office/support staff in regard to scheduling, refill requests, and client questions.
• Attends staff development training seminars on current practices as directed by Chief Medical Officer and the Mental Health Clinic Director.
• Maintain professional boundaries.
• Undertakes related duties as assigned.
The Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner reports to the Chief Medical Officer for medication-related issues and the Mental Health Clinic Director for administrative support.
• Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) degree or a Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) degree from an accredited school with a residency in child, adolescent or adult psychiatry and board eligibility in either child, adolescent or adult psychiatry.
• New York State Drug Enforcement Agency licensure.
• New York State Suboxone Waiver to Prescribe and administer medications to be obtained within six months of employment.
• At least one-year experience working with mentally ill adults and children
• A thorough knowledge of diagnostic and therapeutic techniques used in mental health and the factors that contribute to personality development, and a thorough knowledge of the social factors that contribute to personality development, and a thorough knowledge of the social factors affecting mental health are required.
• Capable of setting priorities and carrying out multiple responsibilities independently.
• Ability to set and meet deadlines as well as manage time wisely and effectively.
• Ability to problem-solve and apply critical thinking processes.
• Excellent organizational and project management skills.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Strong attention to detail and accuracy.
• Highly skilled and proficiency in computer use including Electronic Health Records Systems (EHR).
• Highly skilled and proficiency in computer use including word, Microsoft office, excel, power point, and Internet utilization.
Ability to apply common sense and understanding in order to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form. Ability to deal with problem solving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate.
The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; and operate and reach with hands and arms. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 5 pounds.
All interested applicants should submit their resume along with a cover letter and salary requirements to hr@CoveCareCenter.org; and include the position that they are applying for in the subject line.
Our Career page is: Career Opportunities | CoveCare Center